Crunch time in California.
Governor Newsom released his May revised budget proposal last Friday. (In California, the Governor makes an initial budget proposal at the beginning of the year and a revised proposal in May.)
Now, negotiations between the governor and the legislature really heat up, with the final budget to be voted on by Mid-June.
Our members have been asking the Governor to include the appropriation of $4.2 billion of the high-speed rail funds the voters approved in 2008. We are happy to say that he did that, and better.
This is a critical time.
Governor Newsom's proposal includes:
- $4.2 billion for high-speed rail
- $1 billion for transportation projects related to the 2028 Olympics. These will be transit heavy.
- $1 billion for priority transit and rail projects across the state.
- $0.5 billion for active transportation projects.
- $0.5 billion for rail/highway grade separations and other improvements.
All states should take this kind of initiative towards better transportation.This is a critical time.A yes vote will set the stage for better federal funding later in the year.
Please send your California friends to this page:https://hsrail.salsalabs.org/cahsr-may-revise